The Capstone Editing Become an Editor Scholarship
Capstone Editing is excited to announce the launch of a new scholarship to help people in need to train to become professional editors.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19, many people are changing careers or seeking flexible work they can perform from home. We have noticed a sharp increase in the number of people who wish to become professional editors but who don’t have the requisite training or experience.
To assist, our Become an Editor Scholarship will provide free and indefinite access to our online course Your Editing Career Launched for five people. The scholarship will be awarded based on both merit and financial need.
Your Editing Career Launched
Your Editing Career Launched is a four-month online copyediting course like no other. You will learn everything you need to know to begin or advance your career as a professional editor without wasting time, feeling stressed or becoming overwhelmed.
The course offers a rigorous, deep learning experience inclusive of four learning stages: 1) preliminary learning, involving tests to determine your current level and reading to establish a foundation for the course; 2) core copyediting skills, during which you will engage with the online teaching platform to watch course videos, complete exercises and review answers; 3) editing specialisations, which will introduce you to various specialisations such as fiction editing, legal editing and medical and scientific editing; and 4) the exam period, during which you will be prepared for and then sit the YECL exam.
The course also includes a significant amount of additional resources and bonuses. We teach you everything you need to know, including how to establish, market and grow your own freelance editing business, or land your dream job in-house.
Throughout the course, you will be supported through the exclusive YECL HQ Facebook group. You also have access to unlimited support by email and phone too. We will be there to assist you to meet your educational or career goals in any way we can as you work through the course material.
Application closing date
Applications will close on Friday 9 July 2021, and the winners will be announced on Monday 12 July.
Terms and Conditions
1. The Capstone Editing Become an Editor Scholarship is open to all people residing in any country who are over the age of 18.
2. Entries open at 9 am (Australian Eastern Standard Time [AEST]) Saturday 22 May 2021 and close at 12 midnight AEST Friday 9 July 2021.
3. Capstone Editing will select five winners based on both merit (i.e., potential to become a professional editor—as demonstrated by the applicant’s completed editing test—and education and employment background, as evidenced in the applicant’s CV) and financial need (based on information provided to us in the application form).
5. The award for this scholarship is free and indefinite access to our Your Editing Career Launched course, valued at A$2,800. One course will be awarded to each of the five winners.
6. The details of the winner of the scholarship (recipient), including their name, city, photo and university (if studying), may be used by Capstone Editing for promotional purposes, including on Capstone Editing’s website, social media channels and blog.
7. It is a precondition of the award of the scholarship that the recipient provide their details, including name, city, photo, email and university (if studying) to Capstone Editing for use in accordance with clauses 6 and 9 and so Capstone Editing can contact them to deliver the award by email.
8. By accepting the award, the recipient expressly agrees and consents to Capstone Editing using their details, including name, city, photo and university (if studying), for promotional purposes as set out in clauses 6 and 9.
9. Capstone Editing agrees that it shall in no way use the details provided in accordance with clause 7 for any purpose other than as set out in clauses 6 and 9 without the express written consent of the recipient.
11. Capstone Editing has the right not to award a winner (or award fewer than five winners) if no suitable applicant (or insufficient suitable applicants) applies for the scholarship.
12. Employees and contractors of Capstone Editing (and family members of employees and contractors) cannot enter the scholarship.
13. This scholarship is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Capstone Editing and not to Facebook. By applying for this scholarship, you agree to a complete release of Facebook from any claims.